Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pre-raphaelites







I like to think I have some (minimal at best) knowledge of the art world. Now, by no means am I an expert - but I certainly know what I enjoy looking at. For me, to be captivating or worthwhile a piece has to tell a story; mostly I can't be bothered with the semantics of the art world - the proper techinques and style of a period manages to elude me for the most part - I am waiting on art history in the winter semester to right that wrong. But to see a piece that conveys a story, portraying the political, social or economic climate of the time, while still holding true to some principles of proper artistry is rare and incredibly appealing.

The pre-raphaelite period is one of my favorites, because the prominent artists of the time managed to somehow rediscover the beauty of ancient myth and culture. It is simply hard to ignore the romanticism, with every painting I am further inclined to run off into forest and live like a nymph; I want to wear flowers in my hair and sleep in the grass. There is an emotional context - in my case at least - which adds a depth to the works which I hadn't thought relevant when I was first exposed to them years ago. They bring my stressed, over exposed mind down to a level which cannot fathom a life which does not include cottages in the woods with picturesque gardens to sleep in - and of course, a secluded pond for the occasional afternoon swim.



From here, here, here, here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment