Wednesday, May 4, 2011




Daphne Du Maurier may not be my most favorite author - Colette takes that prize - but she wrote an amazing novel by the name of Rebecca. I first came across an excerpt from the book on an English AP exam, and the name of my blog, Blasted Blue Stocking, came from the dialogue. The part I had read was so lovely I decided I had to seek the book out an read it. Luckily, my teacher was retiring that semester and, like any good bohemian, moving to the middle of nowhere. So, she gave away books to our class. She put this box full on the desk next to mine, and within seconds the class had charged on it - only in advanced placement, huh? Being my lucky self, I managed to grab some penguin book without a cover (along with many others, I was not afraid to push) which happened to be Rebecca.
I've just gotten to it now, and it has to be one of the best books I've read, and I've got quite the collection of novels. Though, it's not as good as some, Rebecca certainly makes my top 5. I'm only about halfway through, but the story is habitually tragic, and the characters flawed - all the makings of a favorite novel in my case. I've picked up a couple Daphne Du Maurier books over the years, so I'm terribly excited to read them, because she is obviously a wonderful writer and, judging from photos, quite pretty. That, and we definitely shared a hair cut, when I want to feel supremely cultured I'll say I took mine from the lovely Daphne.




No comments:

Post a Comment